Scammers are targeting business and residential customers, and Santee Cooper does not want you to become a victim of fraud.
Many scammers threaten to turn off your power if you don’t pay immediately, or they’ll try to convince you to purchase pre-paid cards to make a payment over the phone. Others may have sophisticated phone systems mimicking Santee Cooper recordings or phone numbers.
Many times, they will have some information about you, hoping to catch you off guard and convince you to provide private information like social security numbers and bank or credit card accounts.
This is not how we do business at Santee Cooper. If you feel pressured, hang up and call a Customer Service Representative directly at 1-800-804-7424, or at (843) 347-3399 in Horry or Georgetown counties or (843) 761-8000 in Berkeley County.
Frequently Asked Questions
click the questions below to see answers.
- Santee Cooper will request your credit card information when you call 888-798-3785 or visit https://paymentssanteecooper.billmatrix.comto pay your bill by credit card.
- Santee Cooper will request your bank account information when you go to http://san.inetbiller.comto pay your bill by electronic check. This is the website you will be referred to when you receive an email regarding your utility bill.
- A Santee Cooper representative may ask you to provide the last four digits of your social security number when you contact the representative to inquire about your account – this could be by phone, email or on live chat at www.santeecooper.com.
- You should never providing social security number, credit card number or banking information to anyone requesting it over the phone, online or at your home or business unless the customer initiated the contact and feels confident with whom they are speaking.
- You should verify it is Santee Cooper on the line. Hang up the phone and call Santee Cooper at 1-800-804-7424, or at (843) 347-3399 in Horry or Georgetown counties or (843) 761-8000 in Berkeley County to verify whether or not a customer service representative was trying to contact you.
- You should not feeling pressured. We will never call you and demand immediate payment over the phone. If you are contacted by someone asking for payment after 5 p.m. on a weekday, during the weekend or on a holiday, it is not Santee Cooper making this call.
- Residential customers can learn more here.
- Commercial customers can learn more here.
Media are invited to use these interviews and b-roll.
Click to view the video.
Click to download a zip file containing still photos from interviews.
0:00 Commercial Customer Tom Jordan, Pine Lakes Tavern in Myrtle Beach
3:34 Commercial Customer Esther Cribb, Music Man’s BBQ in Moncks Corner
7:03 Residential Customer Delores Boyle, Litchfield Beach
12:36 Commercial Customer Susie Jackson, Copper’s Restaurant in Conway
16:22 Santee Cooper Manager of Retail Services Bryan Lewis
19:19 Santee Cooper Call Center