MAY 22 - JULY 28, 2017
Will you be 1 of the 12?
Only 12 South Carolina college students will be chosen to participate in Santee Cooper's 2017 Environmental Intern Program.
The program is designed to give interns an in-depth understanding of the many traditional and renewable resources used to make electricity, the importance of balancing environmental issues with meeting electricity demands, and how that electricity is transmitted and ultimately distributed to homes and businesses.
They will also learn about Santee Cooper's key role in the environmental and economic wellbeing of South Carolina. The program concentrates on the challenges of keeping the lights on while protecting the state's environmental and economic prosperity.
Interns will spend the summer at work in key environmental departments for hands-on experience at one of the nation's largest, public-power utilities. In the field, interns will see what rural electrification has done for our state and what Santee Cooper continues to do to protect our natural resources. From the drafting table to the backwoods, they will see how the process of generating power while preserving the environment is a never-ending one of search and discovery.
The Environmental Intern Program includes housing, a food allowance, and hourly wages. Students learn the value of teamwork as they live and work together. The program is hosted at the corporate headquarters in Moncks Corner.
APPLICATION AVAILABLE: DECEMBER 1, 2016
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 1, 2017
Click on the questions below to reveal the answers.
Apply online beginning December 1 after you receive your Fall 2016 grades.
The application must be completed in one sitting; it cannot be saved and completed later.
Each applicant is required to provide the following information by February 1, 2017:
- Completed online application
- Uploaded cover letter
- The same cover letter will be sent to all appointers, so it should not be addressed to any one individual.
- Uploaded copy of your résumé
- The résumé should describe your paid and/or volunteer work experience, extracurricular activities, honors, hobbies, community involvement and/or any other items a potential employer should be aware of.
- Uploaded copy of your college transcript including Fall 2016 grades
- An unofficial transcript will be accepted with the application. An official transcript may be requested if you are selected.
- Documentation of Spring 2017 courses and credit hours in progress.
- Some schools include this information on the transcript. If yours does not, a separate document is needed.
- Uploaded essay entitled, "Why I Should Be Selected to Be an Intern"
- Uploaded copy of driver's license
Additionally, each applicant may submit up to two letter of reference. Letters can be uploaded or sent directly to:
Environmental Intern Program Coordinator, M402
P.O. Box 2946101
Moncks Corner, SC 29461-6101
Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
To be considered, an application must:
- Include all required documents
- Be submitted no later than February 1, 2017