Search Santee Cooper

Encroachment Requests

Santee Cooper manages perpetual easements that have been acquired for the safe and reliable transmission of electricity to our customers.

It is essential that these easements remain available for present and future use to ensure that facilities located within transmission easements can be inspected, maintained and operated safely and reliably. No encroachment should be placed within the easement without first consulting with Santee Cooper.

Encroachments are classified as any physical change or addition within the easement, other than Santee Cooper activities, after the initial clearing of a right-of-way. If you receive an enforcement letter concerning a non-permissible encroachment within the easement and on your property, it is essential that you contact our Right-of-Way Management division to resolve the encroachment problem. 

Following are examples of encroachment types that are generally permitted within the easement as long as Santee Cooper can maintain adequate access to our facilities, meet the National Electric Safety Code, and satisfy required clearances and encroachment specifications. Any approved encroachment that requires a modification to our facilities will require that the requester pay for the necessary work.

  • Utilities (overhead and underground)
  • Parking lots
  • Fences
  • Ditches
  • Outdoor signs and light poles


Following are examples of encroachment types that are not permitted within an easement:

  • Structures or obstructions of any kind such as buildings, sheds, pump houses, mobile homes, wells, trees, etc.
  • Septic tanks and drain fields
  • Intentional flooding of the rights-of-way (including ponds)
  • Swimming pools, tennis courts, playgrounds, recreational fields, agricultural or residential irrigation systems, and recreational ponds
  • Over-night storage/parking facilities for boats, recreation vehicles, trailers, junk cars, mobile homes, etc.
  • Cable gates
  • Retaining walls
  • Dumpsters
  • Any other encroachment which would endanger our facilities or public safety
  • Vegetation with a mature height greater than 12 feet and/or landscape vegetation that can interfere with access to the easement or can grow within three feet of poles, guys, or anchors
  • Any change to the ground elevation that will violate the National Electric Safety Code 

Click to download the application for requesting an encroachment agreement.

An encroachment request package must include all of the following before it will be processed:

  • A $250 application fee payable to Santee Cooper (fee may be waived in some cases).
  • Name and mailing address of the person who will sign the agreement.  If different from the Encroachment Owner, documentation of property owner's permission (e.g., easement, letter of consent, etc.)
  • A scaled drawing showing:
    • Proposed encroachment(s) with respect to transmission easement bounds and transmission poles (must show pole numbers for each pole on drawing - instructions on collecting pole numbers from power poles)
    • Major & secondary roads (if near encroachment)
    • Any known easement(s) located within the transmission easement
  • Property deed information for each parcel that is affected by encroachment(s)


Contact us with questions concerning the above activities and encroachments.

Horry County: Jeff Lane 843-761-8000 ext. 7389

All other Areas: Alan Bowen 843-761-8000 ext.5327