Demystifying Payment Options
If you’re a customer, you probably know Santee Cooper has switched to a new customer service website and app. It’s called My Energy Link, and we call it MEL for short. While MEL offers some really interesting things customers didn’t have before – like comparing your usage month to month and a mobile app so you can check out your account on the go – we know there are some growing pains with a change this big.
First, thank you for your patience. MEL’s been a little temperamental and we’re working to fix the glitches. Second, I’d like to give you the lowdown on one of the things we’ve heard has been confusing for customers – payment options.
- Payment fees: Yes, there is still a way to pay your bill online and fee free! The key is you have to log in to your account through MEL. This isn’t new – there was a fee for payments if you didn’t log in to the old system – but if you haven’t registered for MEL, it may feel new.
If you get to the login page and just click the pay button without logging in, there’s a $2.50 fee no matter how you pay ($12.50 for commercial customers). If you log in and pay with your bank account, there is no fee. Keep in mind, a debit card is considered a credit card and there is a fee for credit card payments.
- e-Billing: e-Billing as you knew it soon will not be available. If you’re an e-Billing customer, you’ll need to un-enroll from e-Billing and register for MEL. Take a look at this video for some help. You can then set up recurring payments with your bank account in MEL. When you un-enroll from e-Billing, don’t forget to write down your account number so you have it handy when you register for MEL.
- One-time payments: With a one-time payment, you’re not logged into MEL and that means whether you pay with your bank account or a credit card, there will be a $2.50 processing fee ($12.50 fee for commercial customers). Again, this isn’t new – there was a fee for payments if you didn’t log in to the old system – but if you haven’t registered for MEL, it may feel new.
- PrePay Customers: Nothing has changed for you. (You may now breathe a sigh of relief.)
- Pay by phone: Have your account number ready and give us a call at 888-798-3785. We accept payments via electronic check, debit card and credit card (Visa, MasterCard) and there is a $2.50 fee to pay by phone ($12.50 for commercial customers).
- Pay by mail: Yes, we accept payments by mail. Our payment address is P.O. Box 188, Moncks Corner, SC 29461-0188.
- Pay in person: You can pay in person with cash or a check at our Myrtle Beach and Moncks Corner offices. You can also pay in person at partner locations that may be closer to you. Click here for more info.
Yes, there are a lot of options, and that’s by design. We think it’s important to give you these options so you can decide what’s right for you. Personally, I don’t go into an office to pay any of my bills. They are all on auto draft. However, we know some customers prefer to pay by mail or in person. If that’s what you want to do, that’s great. The key is, that decision is completely up to you.