Energy Savings Tips
Small changes in the way you use energy around your home and business can add up, saving you energy every day.
For My Home
- Set your thermostat at 68OF or lower during the cooler months.
- Set your thermostat to 78OF or higher in the warmer months.
- Use window treatments to let sun in in the winter and keep the heat out in the summer.
- Run your dishwashers, washers and dryers during the coolest part of the evening.
- Use LEDs.
- Invest in ENERGY STAR® appliances.
- Adjust water heater to 120OF.
- Purchase and install a Smart Thermostat.
- Tune up your cooling system if needed.
- Turn off lights and other appliances you are not using.
- Use sleep mode on computers when taking breaks. Shut it down when not in use.
- Unplug phone chargers when not in use.
- Avoid streaming on game consoles which use more power than streaming on a tablet or laptop.
- Replace heat pump filters monthly.
- Use power strips instead of plugging items in the wall.
CFLs Residential Disposal procedure
CFLs require a special disposal procedure
For My Business
- Install more energy efficient lighting by replacing your current lighting with LEDs.
- Utilize new technology to light your space.
- Switch your incandescent exit signs to LED exit signs.
- Replace appliances with ENERGY STAR® models.
- Practice preventative maintenance on your HVAC equipment, including:
- Cleaning HVAC regularly (including filters)
- Fixing any leaks
- Correcting any part of the unit that is not operating correctly
- Install Smart Thermostats.
- Unplug any unused technology.
- Add automatic lighting controls, like occupancy sensors in restrooms.
- Use solar-powered outdoor lighting.
- Ensure your air vents are clear of obstruction.