United Way of Horry County Announces Their 2020 - 2021 Community Champions
Horry County, SC – United Way of Horry County (UWHC) named their 2020 – 2021 Community Champion Winners last week during surprise visits to the businesses and winners. Community Champions are determined by giving divisions, called sectors. In order to win, the donor must be a 3-year consecutive giver and have the largest percent increase in amount donated in their sector. This annual donor appreciation event is one of the ways that UWHC publicly recognizes their donors.
This year’s winners are:
- Industry Sector: Santee Cooper
- Public Service Sector: St. James Elementary School
- Inland Business Sector: Hucks and Washington Furniture
- Myrtle Beach Business Sector: C.L. Benton & Sons
- Professionals Sector: Michael J. Barnett of McCrackin, Barnett, and Richardson Law Offices
- South Strand Business Sector: Murrells Inlet Rotary Club
- North Strand Business Sector: Elliott Beach Rentals
- Residential Sector: Dick and Brenda Rosen
- New Business: Anderson Brothers Bank – Church Street, Conway
This year, UWHC introduced a new Community Champion category, New Business. “With this year’s campaign, we never could have predicted that we would have been hit with a pandemic. We wanted to recognize the new businesses in Horry County that stepped up to donate during this time,” says Blakely Roof, President and CEO of UWHC. “We are so grateful that these new businesses recognized the pressing needs of the community and decided to donate towards our mission.” Anderson Brothers Bank – Church Street won the New Business Community Champion award because they donated the highest amount, $2500, out of all of the new businesses.
UWHC’s 2020 – 2021 campaign goal was $950,000. The organization was able to meet, and exceed, this goal by raising $966,255.42. The money raised goes towards funding internal and external programs that focus on improving the access to health, education, and financial stability in Horry County. Community Champion is sponsored by South Atlantic Bank.
To learn more about Community Champion, visit the UWHC website: https://unitedwayhorry.org/community-champion-week/ or contact Jentry Ward by phone 843-347-5195 or by email Jentry@UnitedWayHorry.org.