Our New Somerset Point & Stilley Membership Program
As we continue to work hard to redefine Santee Cooper as a leaner, greener organization that remains focused on our customers, we’re grateful to have the opportunity to keep properties like Somerset and Stilley for our employees and retirees to enjoy. Beginning in January 2022, we are turning these facilities into self-sustaining operations through a new membership program.
Santee Cooper’s Somerset and Stilley recreational facilities have historically been and will continue to be a wonderful perk for employees, retirees, and their guests. Whether for a simple getaway with your spouse, a weekend camping adventure, or a gathering place to reunite with friends and family, these facilities serve as a Santee Cooper staple for many.
Whether you’re a regular visitor to the facilities or are interested in trying them out for the first time, you’ll need to sign up for an annual membership by Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2021, to activate your membership for next year. Open enrollment will begin on Tuesday, Oct. 5. Missing the enrollment deadline means you will have to wait until next year’s enrollment period to join. Only new hires will be able to enroll in a membership outside of the annual enrollment period, like our benefits enrollment process.
By benchmarking our services with state and local parks and other recreational sites, we have worked to provide a membership that is comparable. The basic membership and pricing includes access to rent the cottages and recreational building at Somerset (actual rental is additional). It also includes access to the use of picnic shelters, bathhouses, fishing pier, and boat ramps at both facilities, in addition to the playground, tennis court, basketball court, and volleyball court exclusively at Somerset.
There are additional add-ons you can enroll in and a breakdown of those can be seen below.
Additional information on pricing and membership guidelines will be coming soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve created the new membership program to turn these facilities into self-sustaining operations. For years they have been offered as a free perk for employees and retirees, and we will continue offering them for an annual membership fee.
The enrollment period is from Tuesday, Oct. 5 – Tuesday, Nov. 30 by 5 p.m.
Employees and retirees will be able to sign up electronically by completing an enrollment form online beginning Oct. 5. Stay tuned for more information on how to access the enrollment form.
You will not be eligible to use either facility, including campsites,cottages and the recreation building, until you enroll during the following enrollment period. This is similar to Open Enrollment with health benefits.
- You must be a member to access the facilities at Somerset Point and Stilley recreation areas.
- You must be a member to camp, be eligible for camper/boat storage, and rent cottages and the recreation building.
- To be a member for 2022, you must enroll between Oct. 5 and Nov. 30. Membership lasts one year, and you must re-enroll each year.
- The basic membership fee is $78 per year.
- There are additional membership fees associated with camping and camper/boat storage. Camper/boat storage will be available exclusively at Somerset. Refer to the cost breakdown above for pricing.
- There will be a camper/boat storage lottery system for the 55 spaces available. You must be a member and will only pay for storage if your name is drawn for a space.
- There will be new rental fees for cottages and the recreation building. Refer to the cost breakdown above for pricing.
- The lottery system for cottage rentals and the reservation process for the recreation building rentals are staying the same. You will need a basic membership first to participate in either.
- Camping spots will still be available on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Camping will be available at both Somerset and Stilley.
- Camping stay will still be limited to 14 days on the campsite and a minimum of 7 days off all campsites.
- Employees will pay membership fee(s) through payroll deductions based on their membership selections on the enrollment form. Enrollment forms must be submitted by November 30 and payroll deductions will begin the first pay period in 2022.
- Retirees will pay any annual fees upfront based on their membership selections on the enrollment form. Basic membership fees are waived for retirees, but enrollment is still required even if only basic membership is desired. Enrollment forms must be submitted by November 30.
A team worked diligently to research pricing at other comparable parks and campsites around the state to ensure pricing is competitive.
Camping and camper/boat storage fees are being phased in, which is why 2022 pricing for these privileges is lower than pricing for 2023. We decided to waive half the fee in 2022 so as not to overwhelm employees and retirees.
Yes, stays are still limited to 14 days on the campsite and there is a required seven days off all campsites.
The summer rate (Memorial Day through Labor Day) for a 4-night cottage stay from Thursday through Sunday is $100, for a 3-night stay from Monday through Wednesday it’s $75.
The non-summer rate for a 4-night cottage stay from Thursday through Sunday is $80, for a 3-night stay from Monday through Wednesday is $60.
Yes, to enter the cottage drawing you must be a paying member.
No, you will not be guaranteed a cottage. The cottage lottery system will remain in place.
Yes, to rent the recreation building you must be a paying member.
No. Spouses who are both employed by Santee Cooper only need one membership and you will count as one household for cabin drawings and rentals.